Monday, January 21, 2008

the Kitchen Cheat: Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies (low fat!)

Full disclosure: I looove mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I used to enjoy making cookies, but current reality doesn't allow for that much. All the in an out of the oven and scooping and trying not to burn them. Pan cookies are a lot more practical these days. But always making them from scratch isn't going to happen. So I compromised. I found a mix I liked (the No Pudge Fudge brownie mix at Trader Joe's) and gussied it up a little... fashioned the brownies in the image of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Might as well lean on the extracts to give all the rich goodness!

The only bummer with these is that the batter tastes kinda like toothpaste because the peppermint extract is pretty strong until the alcohol cooks off a bit in the baking. Just a warning so fellow batter addicts aren't diasappointed!

1 package no pudge brownie mix (available at Trader Joe's)
2/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 tsp. pure peppermint extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup white chocolate chips

You basically just follow the box's directions using those ingredients. I bake them in an 8X10 pan for 24 minutes (but that's because I don't have an 8X8 pan like the box calls for).

These are a great treat to take to new moms since that's a time when you constantly need a pick me up, but ideally one that's guilt free.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs