Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Toy-less play

Sometimes when it's time to entertain my two little babies it just feels easy and appropriate to thrust an educational toy their way. But inevitably I notice how much joy they get from a simple spoon and kitchen scoop and wonder how much the toys really teach them above and beyond these everyday objects.

A friend recommended these books, Your Child at Play. It talks about the theory behind the development at each stage and the best games for each age (the series goes until 8 years). By understanding this, it makes it easier to just create appropriate play with everyday objects. Before I was able to get my hands on a copy, my mom found this online site. It has PDF guides to playing with your child, month by month. It covers a lot of the same issues to help ensure age-appropriate, toy-less learning with your infants.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs