Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lead in kids snacks

I'm back! Been focusing on my podcast for young 'uns - Podaroo - in my spare time. You can dowload it from iTunes here. But I'm back to blog. My twins are about to start preschool this fall, so I have a feeling there will be a bunch more kid, budget, and ecoLiving revelations on the school front to come.

So I've been hearing about lead in kids drinks and wanted to look up the brands for myself. The PDF with the list is linked to in this Seventh Generation post. I'm assuming they're talking about big bottles of juice, not juice boxes but I couldn't figure that out for sure. Interesting question in all this about WHERE the lead is coming from... manufacturing? the apple growers?

I also happened to get into a discussion last night with our scientist neighbor about BPA in canned tomatoes. So I gave subject another google this AM and here is the result. If you are looking to avoid canned tomatoes since the acidic food seems more prone than others to leach the BPA out of the resin liner, Berkeley Bowl currently has organic diced tomatoes in 25.5 oz. GLASS JARS on special for $2.99. No bargain but given they're organic and packed in glass I may stock up - in the winter we do LOADS of cooking with canned tomatoes.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs