Monday, August 31, 2009

Cheap, easy way to display/frame kids' art projects

The girls are starting to really draw and paint. I know one of the important rules for parents looking to encourage their kids is to display their art on occasion. Unfortunately in our apartment our refrigerator is hidden out of view, so that old standby won't work.

So I set out to find a substitute with minimal nails and tape on the walls. Here's what I came up with. The key ingredients were black poster board from the drug store and three bulldog clips at an art supply store. Then out of our tool/sewing kit I got some thread, picture hanging hooks and a little felt pad. I hooked the picture hanging hooks UPSIDE DOWN on our moldings. Then I tied thread to the part of the hook where the nail would ordinarily go. I tied a bulldog clip to the other end of the thread. I repeated this four times and was ready to hang two pictures in our formerly drab hall.

I used a third bulldog clip to keep the pictures weighted down. The only problem was when you'd walk down the hall, the clips would move a little and make a little metallic banging sound. So I used the felt pads (the little kind you put on the bottom of chairs to protect wood floors) to put on the back of the bottom clip. That stopped the sound and actually damped the movement.

The best part is, I can easily swap out the paintings for their next big work of art.

The "ingredients" are pictured below:

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs