Thursday, October 4, 2007

Ergo-MOM-ics

Meet my ergonomic nemesis:
I was just tested for rheumatoid arthritis. It came back negative as I knew it would, but somehow my health care provider wouldn't listen to my plea to talk to a physical therapist about my hand pain until I ruled that out. I don't visit the doc lightly. It was only when I couldn't squeeze out a tube of toothpaste because of the pain that I decided to go in.

I'm not the only one out there with such complaints... in fact based on discussion on our local twin parents listserve it's quite common with twin parents. And as bad as it is for moms, I know it can be worse for dads who are the primary care giver because they don't have hips to use as backup for overtaxed arms and hands.

I just found this article about ergonomic tips for new moms. The only thing I can add is that I think in my case it would have helped if I'd stopped using the infant car seats earlier than I did (which was around 6 or 7 months). Lugging those around really did a job on the joints in my hands. And as much as I was dreading life without the snap n go feature, all is well (well, except for my aches and pains).

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs